Wednesday, 12 March 2008

Day One - A Positive Start

Tuesday 11 March

Well a load of action from my services, as well as a bit of trading on Betfair, a placepot and a football bet. Very up and down, but finding the winner of the last at the festival ensured a positive start.

Previously mentioned that I had subscribed to the Paul Jones ante-post service for the festival. This is the guy that writes the excellent Weatherbys Cheltenham Festival Guide, and I've been getting ante-post bets from him for the last few weeks. Got around 30 bets all told as well as his overnight festival e-mail service, along with the daily bets from my other services, so if it all goes wrong then the numbers could be horrendous by the end of the week.

Away from the festival SLH advised an each way bet on Namroud in the Sedgefield 2.50. The horse finished 4th at an SP of 22/1, wasn't happy with the ride here as I thought the horse didn't get much assistance from the saddle. With a more positive ride, I'm sure I would have collected the each way money, not sure if the win was on but it only got beat 3 lengths so who knows.

The all weather selection was Indecision who was well beaten.


At the festival my placepot crashed and burned in the first despite putting four in, which was a shame as I got through the rest of the card - but I'll try again tomorrow.

Race 1

Ante post bets on Blue Bajan (e/w), Numide and Rippling Ring came unstuck. Henry Rix gave out Rippling Ring and Sentry Duty, decided to follow Mark Holder this week and he put up Pigeon Island who also got a favourable mention from Mathematician and I also backed Binocular, who did best of all finishing second.



Race 2

Ante-post on Clopf got as far as the first, also had Moon Over Miami and I laid Noland. Unfortunately I also laid Tidal Bay and so another hefty reversal.



Race 3

An ante-post treble and an each way double came unstuck when Sizing Europe blew out. Although I offset some of this by laying the horse. I also had losing each way bets on Afsoun (SLH) and Catch Me (HR) so it was 0/3 after three races.


Race 4

The first ante-post success as my 10/1 bet on An Accordion was landed. Losing bets on Mon Mome (SLH), Bob Hall (HR), Ponmeoth (HR) and New Alco (a positive from Mathematician) brought the profit down a bit.



Race 5

Didn't play on this race. Had good marks for a few, including the winner but decided to pass.



Race 6

Best of the day with a back on Crack Away Jack, who got a positive from Paul Jones and also went in my book when I backed him at Sandown last month. Other bets in this race, a lay of Ashkazar, an each way on Grand Schlem (MH), Prince Erik e/w (ante post), as well as bets on Harry Tricker and Metaphoric.


The football bet was a loser thanks to Swansea conceding in the last minute, and my trading the prices was hopeless and I bailed out after 3 losses.



Profit on day £356




So an interesting day, with a huge number of bets, and a couple of decent winners ensuring a profitable day, and I'm happy enough with the first day.

Hopelessly disorganised here this week. My office is still being decorated which isn't giving me much time to plan a strategy for the festival, also I'm having a new kitchen put in soon and this week have had a window blocked up and walls plastered so the house is in a right state.

Don't like living like this, doesn't help when I'm trying to watch the races or trade with builders in, as well as trying to do some painting ! Still it will be worth it when everything is finished.

The abandonment of the festival on Wednesday means tomorrow will be a very long day, with the first race at 12.30 and going on until nearly 6.

Plenty of ante-post action tomorrow, hopefully get one or two of the big priced ones in and have a very good day.

No comments: