Sunday, 6 December 2009

Profit and Loss w/e 06/12/2009

Another losing week, the seventh in the last ten weeks, and the overall profit figure has taken a bit of a hit recently.

However if I been offered just short of £44,000 at the start of this year, then I would have bitten your hand off.

The last few weeks have been an eye opener though, and I'm realising that I've been pushing my luck somewhat with the stakes I'm playing with at the moment.

From November 2008 to the end of October this year, I had only one losing month - back in February - and won £67,000 in that time, and it's easy to get swept along thinking that you will just go on winning all the time.

Of course that is not possible, and the present run is an inevitable correction to what has happened in the last 12 months.

It's not as easy as raising the stakes and the profits automatically increasing - it doesn't work that way, indeed I'm below where I was at the end of August after this weeks results.

I'm giving a lot of thought to how exactly I'm going to play things next year - which services I want to include in the portfolio, how I'm going to incorporate trading into my daily plays, and which other strategies to employ to maintain what I've done so far, and ensure a decent income for me while protecting the bank.

I'll leave things as they are for the rest of this year as there isn't much time left now - I was intending that Sunday 20 December would be the last day before my break, however I might finish next Sunday as I have quite a few things to do before I go away.

I get back in early February next year and plan to be up and running by the middle of the month.

As for the week ahead, there's a two meeting at Chelthenham on Friday and Saturday which should give me plenty of action, and plenty of football as well including a full midweek programme in the championship as well as next weekends games.

Hopefully a profitable week coming up - best of luck !




Loss on week £2,355

Profit year to date £43,646



Results by service for week (per my staking plan)


Maths - Account Bets...................(250)
SLH - Private..........................(500)
SLH - Exchange.........................(260)
SLH - A/W..............................(400)
Equine Investments.....................(325)
Tipping Legends (Golf)..................463
Chris, The Form Guru (I/Rail)..........(513)
Tipping Legends........................(235)
Punter Profits........................(1416)
Isiris..................................890
Paul Jones Midweek Ante-Post..............0
Football Elite...........................60
Winabobatoo............................(187)
Personal Bets / Trades..................318

Loss on week £2,355



Results by service YTD (per my staking plan)


Maths - Account Bets.................(2,027)
SLH - Private........................15,316
SLH - Exchange........................2,191
SLH A/W................................(269)
Equine Investments (from 01/05/09)...13,727
Tipping Legends (Golf)................2,620
Chris, The Form Guru (from 01/05/09) .3,632
Punter Profits (from 01/09/09).......(3,815)
Isiris (from 01/09/09)...............(5,688)
Tipping Legends (from 16/10/09).......8,325
Paul Jones midweek A/P (from 31/10)..(1,331)
Football Elite (from Aug 09)..........5,362
Winabobatoo (from Sep 09)............(1,852)
Personal Bets and Trades.............13,391
High Class Equine.......................485
Paul Jones (a/p) Chel / Aintree.......1,259
Chel / Aintree others (PJ, Maths etc).1,103
Optimum Racing (to 18/06/09).........(2,442)
theformguru.com (6/5/09-3/7/09)........(409)
Tipping Legends (to 31/08/09)........(8,099)
Maths - Selections......................445
Making It Pay (30/03 - 22/08/09).......(732)
Nose Ahead (07/04 - 31/08/09).........2,998
Best Under (from Aug 09)...............(881)
Maths Bad Horses (Lay)..................710
The Form Analyst (to 21/11/09).........(373)


Profit year to date £43,646


************************************************


Profit / (Loss) by day of week (w/e 06/12/09)


Mon................(160)
Tue................(129)
Wed.................(12)
Thu.................(52)
Fri..............(1,098)
Sat..............(1,277)
Sun.................373

TOTAL............(2,355)



Profit / (Loss) by day of week (YTD)


Mon..............8,958
Tue.............23,526
Wed..............5,838
Thu................368
Fri...............(616)
Sat..............5,304
Sun................268

TOTAL...........43,646




***********************************************



Results to advised stakes / prices for week


Maths - Account Bets..................-5
SLH Private...........................-5
SLH A/W...............................-4
Equine Investments....................-3.25
Tipping Legends - Golf................+4.5
Chris, The Form Guru (I/rail).........-10.3
Punter Profits........................-7.25
P Jones midweek service...............0
Isiris................................+20
Tipping Legends.......................-3.1
Football Elite........................+2
Winabobatoo...........................-0.58




Results to advised stakes / prices YTD

NB figures quoted are those achieved while I was a member, see dates above


Maths - Account Bets...................-12.79
SLH Private............................+165.45
SLH A/W................................+6.71
Equine Investments.....................+140.53
Tipping Legends - Golf.................+47.49
Chris, The Form Guru...................+200.38
Punter Profits.........................-10.85
P Jones Midweek Ante-Post..............-6.5
Isiris.................................-87.55
Tipping Legends (from 16/10/09)........+136.64
Football Elite.........................+240.25
Winabobatoo............................-8.83

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

what do you do when you have more than 1 horse in a race from different services jp?

i have been using formbet since the start of dec as he was putting stuff up for free on his forum which done really well. so far he has had 5 from 12 winners with a 30pt profit and a few near miss 2nds. might be a good addition and u get ratings for every race as well and cheap.

do you drop the bad services in the new year or review their strike rates mate?

Steveo

keep up the good work always a good read

JP said...

Hi mate,

It has happened quite often this year, and I've just backed everything to advised stakes according to the staking plan I was using.

It has led to some pretty ridiculous situations where I've had upwards of £1000 resting on the outcome of one race, indeed the Tingle Creek yesterday I had three of the five runners - fortunately Twist Magic was amongst them.

I may do something different next year, but haven't given it that much thought yet.

I will review all the performance of all the services I currently use at the end of this year, and I'll be making a few changes.

Formbet looks very interesting and they have been in touch to see if I want to get involved.

It's not worth doing anything now, but they are one of a few I'm looking at with a view to next year.

All the best
JP

Michael said...

Hi JP

Can I just say what an excellent blog this is and also that it has been something of an inspiration to me as I have recently started trying to bet for a living and am also blogging it (on http://bet4aliving.com/blog)?

I've had a difficult start as you will see if you visit the blog but am (is it perversely?) comforted by the the fact that the last few weeks have been a difficult and hopefully not typical time for a number of people who are trying to do the same.

Hopefully it will turn out that I am not just another "me too" blog and I will add some value as things develop and I introduce my own strategies over the next few months.

Regards

Michael

Anonymous said...

Hi JP - I admire your persistence in sticking with the services and remaining consistent to staking plans and advice given, although it is clear that some aspects of the advice given by some services is for the protection of the tipping service rather than the benefit of the punter. Looking at Legends for example, there is no obvious reason to back any of their selections e/w. There appears to be no bias towards shorter priced horses when it comes to winners and, in fact, more profits can be taken from putting ALL their e/w stakes as win only.

Similarly staking plans to recover losses would significantly improve profitability - although it'll need a little analysis to fit the plan to the win/loss ratio and losing run profile of each service. It may get a bit scary at times but you seem to have the betting bank to handle the increased risk.

I can see that you'll be reviewing your strategies in the new year and I, for one, will be watching avidly to see how you get on. Thanks for providing a highly personal and extremely rich source of knowledge and inspiration.

Regards - Richie

Orsen Kaht said...

JP - just checked out your blog. Interesting to see Isiris back in there - didn't realise he'd started up again. That said, results don't look too good from that source - is it still KB?

JP said...

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the kind comment, much appreciated.

Just had a quick look at your blog and it looks like a good read - I'll have a proper read of it when I've got a bit more time later in the week.

I'll add a link here to yours so hopefully a few more people will stop by and have a look.

Looks like you've got yourself well organised and you're also following a few different tipsters to me so will be interesting to see how you get on.

Stay in touch and best of luck !

*

Hi Richie, thanks for the comment.

Interesting what you say about staking the bets. For the first part of this year, I was betting win only on all the Tipping Legends bets but I didn't meet with any success - I was level staking them, rather than say 2pts win when 1pt e/w was advised and so I probably could have played it better.

I've got an open mind as to what I'm going to do next year - you have to rely to a certain extent on the tipsters to get their advised staking right, but I'm more than willing to look at alternatives.

Not really a fan of loss recovery staking plans. Did plenty of chasing when I was younger (not planned !), but I've managed to overcome that. Besides what I've done over the last couple of years has served me well in terms of accrued profits, as well as emotional and financial ups and downs.

However as I said, I will be looking at a few different things for next year, so keep reading and if you've got any thoughts then give me a shout.

All the best
JP

*


Hi Orsen,

Yeah it resumed back in September and it's been a torrid start.

KB has been doing all the messages but he says it has been a team effort. However he says he's doing all the account bets on his own again now after the shocking run of results up to a week ago.

Certainly been making better calls in the last few days so hopefully he can get a decent run going to recover the losses of the last few weeks

Anonymous said...

Hi again

Yes, I agree that chasing losses and trying to devise low-risk staking plans can be a huge distraction and/or a constantly moving target! However, some services seem to have a much more consistent win/loss ratio than others and where there is a history of short losing runs a loss recovery staking plan can increase profits considerably. The danger, of course, is getting carried away on the longer losing runs that inevitably come along from time to time. You sound level-headed enough not to let that happen.

As you say, and have proven, if following tipsters advices/stakes 'blind' can produce reasonable profits - why get greedy!

Good luck for the remainder of your year!

-richie

JP said...

Hi Richie,

I'm pretty level headed now, but it didn't used to be the case ! Still as long as you learn from your mistakes...

Anything I can do next year to maximise profits, keep losses to a minimum, and spread the risk as much as I can then I'll be trying to do it - easier said than done though !


Cheers
JP