Friday, 11 December 2009

Why why why Delilah

Friday 11 December


When Weird Al won the first at Cheltenham at 11/4, my first bet of the day went in and I was hopeful that finally I might spike this terrible run.

However normal service was quickly resumed when Noble Alan, a short priced main account bet for Isiris, and also one of two put up on SLH's exchange line, was turned over by I'm Delilah in the first at Doncaster.

That set up the familiar miserable tone to the day, whereby I had to endure another afternoon of loser after loser, until Time For Rupert won the 3.0 at Cheltenham at 16/1.

That still wasn't enough to prevent another big loss today, and with just two more days to go until I stop for the year, things could hardly be going worse than they are at the minute.

At the end of October, it was looking like I might clear 60K this year assuming a steady last couple of months. However, you can never assume anything in this game and, after taking account of subs, it looks like I'll barely clear half that unless something dramatic happens this weekend.

As I said the other night, I'd have taken this at the start of the year, but it's been a big reality check about the perils of what can happen when things start to go wrong.

As expected today was very busy, with the Tipping Legends NH special accounting for a fair proportion of the bets given out.

A good start as I said with Weird Al winning at 11/4, even got an extra £100 thanks to the BOG but that was the only bet to produce a return all day. Heads On The Ground was a big each way bet in the Cross Country chase but, despite leading over the last, the hill took it's toll and the horse faded rapidly into sixth place. Nothing else looked like collecting until Macaillou in the 3.0 - given a waiting ride at the back, it didn't find as much as it's jockey seemed to expect and finished fourth and of course there were only fifteen runners so only three places !

Isiris are having a poor week again after showing signs of recovery last week, with According To Pete finishing unplaced as well as the bet on Noble Alan going astray. The loss since September is back over 100 points.

SLH came up empty handed on all his services, Solway Minstrel and Et Maintainant were unplaced on the mainline, Secret Tune was given out with Noble Alan in the 12.50 and that lost as well, and the all weather horse Handsinthemist drifted ominously in the pre-race betting from 4/1 to 8/1, but ran better than the market suggested and finished third. No good to me though.

Punter Profits run goes on, although thankfully only one bet today - Wolf Moon, well backed, but was beginning to struggle when he belted the second last, and that was that.

Equine Investments were beaten to the punch by Hugh Taylor who put up Desert Dust at a bigger price, but EI wanted to wait until Ladbrokes and Corals had priced up before giving the bet out. In the end he played to half stakes, as 7/1 was still worth a bet as he consdired the horse an 11/2 shot. As it was, the horse got beat anyway.

The Form Guru has a happy knack of finding big priced winners and was on the mark with Time For Rupert at 16/1, and Qhilimar wasn't beaten far either at a double figure price in the race before.

Forgot all about looking at the Pricewise Extra selection until after it had run - and lost, so saved a bit there at least.

No doubt I will be going out this weekend with all guns blazing - whether I like it or not ! It would be great if I could finish off the year in style.



Bets Advised


SLH Private

Solway Minstrel 1pt e/w @ 7/1 - LOST (SP 11/2)
Et Maintainant 1pt win @ 8/1 - LOST (SP 11/1)


SLH Exchange

12.50 Doncaster
Noble Alan 1pt back @ min 2, Desert Dust 1pt back @ min 10 - LOST / LOST


SLH A/W

Handsinthemist win @ 4/1 - 3RD (SP 8/1)


Equine Investments

Desert Dust 0.75 pts win @ 7/1 - LOST (SP 5/1)


Isiris

Noble Alan 8pts win @ 11/10 - 2ND (SP 5/6)
According To Pete 2pts e/w @ 6/1 - LOST (SP 5/1)


Chris, The Form Guru

Trafalgar Road 2pts win @ 13/2 - LOST (SP 11/2)
King's Rock 1pt e/w @ 14/1 - LOST (SP 16/1)
Couer du Fou 1pt win @ 9/1 - 3RD (SP 10/1)
Points Of View 1pt win @ 16/1 - LOST (SP 10/1)
Qhilimar 1pt e/w @ 12/1 - 2ND (SP 10/1)
Maucuillou 1pt e/w @ 11/1 - 4TH (SP 17/2)
Time For Rupert 1pt e/w @ 14/1 - WON (SP 16/1)
Smarties Party 0.5 pts e/w @ 25/1 - LOST (SP 20/1)



Tipping Legends

Weird Al 2pts win @ 9/4 - WON (SP 11/4)
Clova Island 2pts win @ 9/2 - 4TH (SP 4/1)
Heads On The Ground 2pts e/w @ 11/2 - LOST (SP 9/2)
According To Pete 1pt e/w @ 6/1 - LOST (SP 5/1)
Gaora Lane 1pt e/w @ 12/1 - LOST (SP 11/1)
Macaillou 1pt e/w @ 11/1 - 4TH (SP 17/2)
Admiral Bond 1pt e/w @ 7/1 - LOST (SP 13/2)


Punter Profits

Wolf Moon (system E) - LOST (SP 4/1)



Bets Placed

Solway Minstrel £100 e/w @ 8/1....................(200)
Et Maintanant £89 win @ 8/1, £11 win on BF........(100)
Noble Alan £100 back @ 2.1........................(100)
Secret Tune £100 back @ 10........................(100)
Handsinthemist £50 win @ 4/1, £50 on BF...........(100)
Desert Dust £75 win @ 7/1..........................(75)
Noble Alan £400 win @ 10/11 - 11/10...............(400)
According To Pete £100 e/w @ 6/1..................(200)
Trafalgar Road £58 win @ 11/2, £42 on BF..........(100)
King's Rock £50 e/w @ 14/1........................(100)
Couer du Fou £50 win @ 9/1.........................(50)
Points Of View £50 win @ 14/1......................(50)
Qhilimar £50 e/w @ 11/1.............................88
Maucillou £50 e/w on BF...........................(100)
Time For Rupert £50 e/w @ 14/1 (BOG)..............1000
Smarties Party £25 e/w on BF.......................(50)
Weird Al £200 win @ 9/4 (BOG)......................550
Clova Island £200 win @ 9/2.......................(200)
Heads On The Ground £100 e/w @ 11/2...............(200)
Heads On The Ground £100 e/w on BF................(200)
According To Pete £100 e/w @ 6/1..................(200)
Gaora Lane £100 e/w @ 12/1........................(200)
Macaillou £100 e/w @ 9/1..........................(200)
Admiral Bond £73 e/w @ 6/1 - 13/2, £27 e/w on BF..(200)
Wolf Moon £200 on BF..............................(200)

Loss on day £1687

8 comments:

Mick said...

Hi JP

As you say it would be great to go out on a high but overall it's been a great year for you.

I'm beginning to think I'd be better off just sticking to my own stuff - lol.

As we've both said many times before it's a long term game with the tipsters.

In case I don't catch up with you again before you disappear, have a great Xmas and all the best for the future.

Cheers

Mick

Anonymous said...

Hi JP
Do you sometimes think you should have finished the year when you were at 50K?

Cheers
Pete

Anonymous said...

Hi JP

I just wanted to say I have followed the blog all year and it has been a great read.

Best of luck tomorrow - I hope you go out with a bank.

One thing - I've followed the Paul Jones Cheltenham ante post service the last few years - but I'm leaving it alone this year due to finances.

Will you still be doing these bets even during your holiday?

Cheers

Tim

JP said...

Hi Mick,

It has been a great year despite what has happened in the last six weeks, and when I have a bit of quiet time to reflect on things next week, I think I'll appreciate more how good is has been.

I just want to get this weekend out of the way now, because I am so ready for a break from doing this everyday. I've only had one week off it since October last year !

Will keep playing the long game next year, with one or two changes, and all being well the same sort of results (except the last bit LOL).

Thanks for the always helpful comments, and wish you all the best for Christmas and the New Year.


*


Hi Pete,

No, I don't regret carrying on.

I know I record profit and loss figures on here by week, month, year, day of week etc but it's only a way of keeping score really.

It's not as if I'm stopping for good, or that I was trying to achieve a set target this year.

As I've said a couple of times over the last few days, I've probably pushed things too hard in the last few weeks on the back of the success I've had and that is something that could have been avoided.

Then again, I've been messing around with the staking ever since I've been doing this and it's still not right, so what can you do.

Thanks for the comment anyway.


*


Hi Tim,

thanks very much for the comment, it is much appreciated.

As you know I've signed up for Paul's ante-post service again this year, even though I knew I'd be away for the first few weeks of it.

I'm having a complete break from betting, gambling etc while I'm away and will just pick things up when I get back.

With Paul's service, most of the bets are given out in the last few weeks anyway so all being well I won't miss too many and, hopefully I'll be on the right ones !


Regards
JP

Anonymous said...

JB says,
One final hurahh and roll of the dice

JP said...

Hi JB,

Yeah, see what the weekend brings :-)

Adem Poric said...

I lost £2000 yesterday and £3500 today. I'm absolutely gutted. These last few weeks have made me want to give up gambling for good - lost almost £20,000 since 1st October. It's too unpredictable even with professional guidance!

Brian Coplin said...

Nice winner with punter profits today.